Kiyomizu Kannon-do Temple was modeled on the Kiyomizu-dera Temple in Kyoto.
The original temple was a stage style and built on a small hill called Suribachiyama (Mount Suribachi) (some 100 meters north of the present location) in 1631, during the Kan’ei period, then was moved to the present site in 1695.This temple has survived frequent fires and earthquakes since its construction and is now appointed as an important cultural asset.
The image of the Kannon Bodhisattva, Bosatsu of Great Mercy, made by the monk Genshin (942−1017), called priest Eshin Sozu, is the principal Bosatsu of this temple. It was first enshrined in the Kiyomizu-dera Temple in Kyoto, but later was awarded to Tenkai, who enshrined it here, in the present Kiyomizu Kannon-do Temple.
The Kosodate Kannon, at the left corner of this temple, is also well known to people for the belief in it by those who are not blessed with children that they may have children.